Sunday, December 23, 2012

Gaping and chewing on the bit


My boy is NOT happy right now in his single-jointed snaffle. As soon as it's in his mouth, he starts gaping wide open and pulling his lips back, and he's frequently chomping on it and pulling on it when we ride. I'm also ending up using harder hands than I'd like just to get his attention as he's running out on me. Part of the running out is because he's had a few months off due to injury, but I'd really like to get him in a bit that he likes and I feel like I can get some response without starting a battle. When he's paying attention, he can be very responsive and I usually like to ride him in a sidepull, but I need a bit for more control especially since we're doing a little re-training at the moment.

I'm assuming the bit is the issue, as he's never been too happy in a bit. Last spring, shortly after I got him, he started foaming up every time I put a bit in his mouth - and we're talking EXCESSIVE foam from stress here. He hasn't had a bit in his mout for about half a year now, but I need to find something that works to get him back to where he used to be and to teach a little more respect and attention.

I'm thinking of getting a French link, but a friend of mine is trying to talk me into a Myler level 2 bit, which I must sounds appealing all up until the price tag. But if that's what it takes, then I guess I'll pay up. I do like the idea of the tongue relief and 3 pieces - anyone have experiences with these? Might it solve my problem?

If there's anything other than the bit that I should check, please let me know :)


Read more: http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/gaping-chewing-bit-147566/#ixzz2J3LqCeJx

No comments:

Post a Comment